We love StoriesBig Finish produce great full-cast audio drama for CD and download, featuring many popular television fantasy series.
Last amended: 13 April 2021
We want you to be fully informed about your rights, and how Big Finish Productions Limited uses your data.
We hope the following sections will answer any questions you have but if not, please do get in touch with us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Introduction to General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- When do we collect your personal data?
- What sort of personal data do we collect?
- How and why do we use your personal data?
- IP addresses & cookies on www.bigfinish.com
- How we protect your personal data
- How long will we keep your personal data?
- Who do we share your personal data with?
- Sharing your data with third parties for their own purposes
- Where your personal data may be processed
- What are your rights over your personal data?
- Your right to withdraw consent
- How can you stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing?
- For non-UK customers
- Contacting the Regulator
- Any questions?
1. Introduction to General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”)
From May 2018, the new General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) on data protection sets out a number of different reasons for which a company may collect and process your personal data, including:
In specific situations, we can collect and process your data with your consent.
For example, when you provide us with your email address, or tick a box in order to receive email newsletters, either on this page: https://www.bigfinish.com/pages/v/newsletter-signup, or within ‘My Account’.
When collecting your personal data, we’ll always make clear to you which data is necessary in connection with a particular service.
In certain circumstances, we need your personal data to comply with our contractual obligations.
For example, if you order an item from us for home delivery, we’ll need your address details to deliver your purchase.
If the law requires us to, we may need to collect and process your data.
For example, we can pass on details of people involved in fraud or other criminal activity affecting Big Finish Productions Limited to law enforcement bodies.
In specific situations, we make use of your data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way which might reasonably be expected as part of running our business and which does not materially impact your rights, freedom or interests.
For example, we may use your purchase history to send you or make available personalised offers.
We also combine the shopping history of many customers to identify general trends and ensure we can keep up with demand or develop new products/services.
2. When do we collect your personal data?
- When you create an account with us.
- When you visit our website.
- When you use your website account to buy products and services.
- When you purchase a product by phone but don’t have (or don’t use) an account.
- When you engage with us on social media.
- When you download or install the Big Finish App.
- When you contact us by any means with queries, complaints, feedback etc.
- When you enter a competition.
- When you choose to complete any surveys we send you.
- When you use a code or discount offer shared via a third party.
- When you’ve given a third party permission to share with us the information they hold about you.
3. What sort of personal data do we collect?
- If you have a website account with us at www.bigfinish.com: your name, your invoice and delivery addresses, your orders and account transactions, and your email address. For your security, we’ll also keep an encrypted record of your login password.
- Details of transactions you carry out through our website, and information related to fulfilment of your orders.
- Details of your interactions with us, online, by email or over the telephone, or using the Big Finish App. For example, we might ask for a contact telephone number, or collect notes from our conversations with you, the details of any complaints or comments you make, details of purchases you made, items viewed or added to your basket, wish list choices, products you show interest in, and how and when you contact us.
- Information you provide when you enter a competition.
- Details of your shopping preferences. For example, your preferred release format, via data collected in your order history.
4. How and why do we use your personal data?
Big Finish Productions want to offer you the best possible customer experience. In order to achieve this, we will use the data we hold about you to offer you promotions, products and services that are most likely to interest you.
General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) allows this as part of our legitimate interest in understanding our customers and providing the highest levels of service.
Please remember that if you choose not to share your personal data with us, or refuse certain contact permissions, we might not be able to provide some services you’ve asked for.
This is how we’ll use your personal data and why:
- To process any orders that you make by using our website, or directly from the warehouse.
If we don’t collect your personal data during checkout, we won’t be able to process your order and comply with our legal obligations. For example, your details may need to be passed to a third party to supply or deliver the product or service that you ordered, and we may keep your details for a reasonable period afterwards in order to fulfil any contractual obligations such as refunds.
- In order to respond to your queries, refund requests and complaints.
Handling the information you sent enables us to respond. We may also keep a record of these to inform any future communication with us and to demonstrate how we communicated with you throughout. We do this on the basis of our contractual obligations to you, our legal obligations and our legitimate interests in providing you with the best service and understanding how we can improve our service based on your experience.
- To protect our business and your account from fraud and other illegal activities .
This includes using your personal data to maintain, update and safeguard your account. We’ll do all of this as part of our legitimate interest.
- With your consent, we will use your personal data, preferences and details of your transactions to keep you informed by email and via the Big Finish App about relevant products and services including special offers, discounts, promotions, events, and competitions.
Of course, you are free to opt out of hearing from us by any of these channels at any time.
- To send you communications required by law or which are necessary to inform you about changes to the services we provide you.
- To display the most interesting content to you on our website, we may use data we hold about your transaction and browsing activity. We’ll do this on the basis of our legitimate business interests.
- To administer any of our competitions which you enter, based on your consent given at the time of entering.
- To develop, test and improve the systems, services and products we provide to you. We’ll do this on the basis of our legitimate business interests.
- To comply with our contractual or legal obligations to share data with law enforcement.
- To send you survey and feedback requests to help improve our services.
These messages will not include any promotional content and do not require prior consent when sent by email or text message. We have a legitimate interest to do so as this helps make our products or services more relevant to you.
- To help us form a better, overall understanding of you as a customer, and to inform our business decisions, we may combine data captured via Big Finish Productions Limited and data from publicly-available lists as we have described in the section What sort of personal data do we collect? We’ll do this on the basis of our legitimate business interest.
Combining this data will help us personalise your experience and decide which content to share with you. We also use anonymised data from customer purchase histories to identify general sales trends and inform our future production schedule.
- Sometimes, we’ll need to share your details with a third party who is providing a service (such as delivery courier). We do so to maintain our appointment with you. Without sharing your personal data, we’d be unable to fulfil your request.
5. IP addresses & cookies on www.bigfinish.com
We may use automated systems to collect information about your computer, including its IP address, operating system and browser type. This is statistical data that will not identify you individually. We will use this information to help us run and improve www.bigfinish.com.
For the same reasons, we may gather information about your internet usage by using a cookie file stored on your computer. Cookies contain information that help us to improve our site by enabling us to:
- Estimate our user size, growth and usage pattern
- To store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our site according to your individual interests
- To speed up your searches
- To recognise you when you return to our site
You can opt-out of the collection and use of information for ad targeting through one of the following websites:
For more information about Facebook pixels, this article is most informative:
6. How we protect your personal data
We know how much data security matters to all our customers. With this in mind we will treat your data with the utmost care and take all appropriate steps to protect it.
All the data that you send through to us when submitting an order is encrypted before it is transmitted across the internet. This means that in the unlikely event of the data being intercepted, it would be difficult to decipher.
- We secure access to all transactional areas of our websites and apps using ‘https’ technology.
- Access to your personal data is password-protected.
- We regularly monitor our system for possible vulnerabilities and attacks.
- Sensitive data (such as payment card information) is secured by SSL encryption.
In order to protect your payment details, the checkout services used on www.bigfinish.com are run directly through the payment processing companies, Opayo (formerly SagePay) and PayPal. You will automatically be transferred to your selected service when placing an order.
Payment card information is not stored on the Big Finish website. All credit card data is processed by our payment processing gateways, either Opayo (formerly SagePay) or PayPal. Sensitive data such as names and email addresses is secured by SSL encryption. Big Finish Productions Ltd do not receive or retain any details relating to specific credit/debit cards, only the authorisation from either Opayo (formerly SagePay) and PayPal once the transaction has been completed.
Never send credit/debit card details directly to us by e-mail.
Information about how Opayo (formerly SagePay) and PayPal protect your information can be viewed on their respective websites.
In the unlikely event of unauthorised card use please be sure to contact your card issuer immediately as per your arrangement with them.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. You should not share this password with anyone, and make sure you change it regularly.
We have and will continue to use reasonable endeavours to ensure that your personal data is protected against loss, alteration and unlawful use or access. We also have procedures in place to deal with any suspected breached and to notify you and the regulator of any suspected breach, where required.
7. How long will we keep your personal data?
Whenever we collect or process your personal data, we’ll only keep it for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected.
At the end of the retention period, your data will either be deleted or anonymised, for example by aggregation with other data so that it can be used in a non-identifiable way for statistical analysis and business planning.
Your Order History
In order to enable access to the downloads associated with your purchases, and to allow you to use the Big Finish App, it is necessary for us to retain core information about you and your order history as part of your personal data.
We’ll need to keep the personal data you give us relating to orders for five years so we can comply with our legal and contractual obligations, and after that we will not delete any information relating to your purchase history from our website until or unless you ask us to do so.
8. Who do we share your personal data with?
We may sometimes share your personal data with trusted third parties. For example, delivery couriers, or for fraud management.
Here’s what we do to keep your data safe and protect your privacy in relation to those third parties:
- We provide only the information they need to perform their specific services.
- They may only use your data for the exact purposes we specify in our contract with them.
- We work with them to ensure that your privacy is respected and protected at all times.
- If we stop using their services, any of your data held by them will either be deleted or rendered anonymous.
Examples of the kind of third parties we work with are:
- IT companies who support our website and other business systems.
- Operational companies such as delivery couriers.
9. Sharing your data with third parties for their own purposes
We will only do this under very specific circumstances, for example:
- In order to apply our own Terms & Conditions, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Big Finish Productions, our customers or suppliers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of copyright protection, fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- We may share information about fraudulent or potentially fraudulent activity in our premises or systems. This may include sharing data about individuals with law enforcement bodies.
- We may also be required to disclose your personal data to the police or other enforcement, regulatory or Government body, in your country of origin or elsewhere, upon a valid request to do so. These requests are assessed on a case-by-case basis and take the privacy of our customers into consideration.
- We may also disclose certain information in an aggregated, anonymised form (so that no individual can be identified) for marketing and development purposes.
10. Where your personal data may be processed
The information that we collect may be sent to, and stored, outside the European Economic Area ("EEA"). Name and Email address data is transferred to Createsend (the service we use to manage our email marketing), whose servers may be based in the USA. In addition, it may be necessary on occasion to share your personal data with third parties and suppliers outside the EEA, such as Australia or the USA. It may also be used by staff outside the EEA that work for Big Finish Productions Ltd, or for one of our suppliers. These staff may be involved in fulfilling your order, processing your payment details or support services. By providing your information to us, you agree to this. We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your information is treated securely.
If you are based outside the UK and place an order with us, we will transfer the personal data that we collect from you into the UK.
Protecting your data outside the EEA
The EEA includes all EU Member countries as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. We may transfer personal data that we collect from you to third-party data processors in countries that are outside the EEA.
For example, this might be required in order to fulfil your order or provide support services.
If we do this, we will ensure your data receives the same protection as if it were being processed inside the EEA.
11. What are your rights over your personal data?
You have the right to request:
- Access to the personal data we hold about you, free of charge. However, we reserve the right to charge a ‘reasonable fee’ when a request is manifestly unfounded or excessive, particularly if it is repetitive.
- The correction of your personal data when incorrect, out of date or incomplete.
- That we stop using your personal data for direct marketing.
- That we stop any consent-based processing of your personal data after you withdraw that consent.
You also have the right to request a copy of any information about you that Big Finish Productions Limited holds, and to have that information corrected if it is inaccurate.
To request a copy of your information, please contact
Data Protection Officer, Big Finish Productions Ltd, Unit 15, Woodlands Business Park, Woodlands Park Avenue, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 3UA or email: email@example.com
- To ask for your delivery or billing information to be amended, please update your online account at www.bigfinish.com, or contact our warehouse team: firstname.lastname@example.org
If we choose not to action your request we will always explain to you the reasons for our refusal.
12. Your right to withdraw consent
Whenever you have given us your consent to use your personal data, you have the right to change your mind at any time and withdraw that consent.
Where we rely on our legitimate interest
In cases where we are processing your personal data on the basis of our legitimate interest, you can ask us to stop for reasons connected to your individual situation. We must then do so unless we believe we have a legitimate overriding reason to continue processing your personal data.
You have the right to stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing activity through all channels, or selected channels. We must always comply with your request.
Checking your identity
13. How can you stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing?
There are several ways you can stop direct marketing communications from us:
- Click the ‘unsubscribe’ link in any email communication that we send you. We will then stop any further emails.
- Log in to your Big Finish account, visit the ‘My Account’ area and update your communication preferences.
- In the Big Finish App, you can manage your preferences and opt-out of push notifications by selecting or deselecting the relevant options in the ‘Settings’ section.
- Write to Data Protection Officer, Big Finish Productions Ltd, Unit 15, Woodlands Business Park, Woodlands Park Avenue, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 3UA or email email@example.com
Please note that you may continue to receive communications for a short period after changing your preferences while our systems are fully updated, and we may still retain your data where permitted.
14. For non-UK customers
By using our services or providing your personal data to us, you expressly consent to the processing of your personal data by us or on our behalf. Of course, you still have the right to ask us not to process your data in certain ways, and if you do so, we will respect your wishes.
Sometimes we’ll need to transfer your personal data between countries to enable us to supply the goods or services you’ve requested. In the ordinary course of business, we may transfer your personal data from your country of residence to ourselves and to third parties located in the UK.
By dealing with us, you are giving your consent to this overseas use, transfer and disclosure of your personal data outside your country of residence for our ordinary business purposes. This may occur because our information technology storage facilities and servers are located outside your country of residence, and could include storage of your personal data on servers in the UK.
15. Contacting the Regulator
If you feel that your data has not been handled correctly, or you are unhappy with our response to any requests you have made to us regarding the use of your personal data, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
You can contact them by calling 0303 123 1113.
Or go online to http://www.ico.org.uk/concerns
If you are based outside the UK, you have the right to lodge your complaint with the relevant data protection regulator in your country of residence.
16. Any questions?
Version 1.4: 23 May 2018: major revision for GDPR
Version 1.4.1: 13 April 2021: updated links for Opayo (formerly SagePay)