This opportunity is active from 8th May 2018, and closed at 23:59 on June 30th 2018.
1. All entries must be submitted electronically, either as Word-compatible documents or PDF pages, sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
2. The synopsis must be a single page, (this tends to be approx 500 words)
3. A second page (again, approx 500 words), showing an opening excerpt from the story, should also be a single page. This is to give a flavour of the writer's ability and intentions, and can change if the story is commissioned. See below for how to download some examples from past years.
4. Both pages should be marked with the writer's name and a contact email address
5. The story may be set within any period of Doctor Who, defined as running from the 1st Doctor up to the 12th Doctor before Twice Upon a Time. Please note this does not include The War Doctor, who cannot be used in this opportunity.
6. No established monsters can be used, nor established Doctor Who characters other than the companions
7. The story should not have been published anywhere before, nor should the entry have been submitted before
8. The winner will be informed in late July, and will be officially contracted to the work of a 5,000 word Short Trip story. As with all Big Finish writers, they will be expected to agree and meet all conditions, especially regards delivery on time. It is expected a first-draft delivery would be due early Autumn 2018
9. The BBC have to approve the content of a selected story. Should there be unforeseen issues with the work, the writer will be invited to submit a new idea
10. Please note that no correspondence can be entered into, nor should the submission email cover your background or previous writing - the submission should speak for itself
11. Entry is eligible only to those who have never written for Big Finish before
12. For the current Opportunity, any competitor can send up to two submissions. This may be reviewed in the future. Please only send one submission per email so that we can keep track of things more easily.
13. If you've never heard a Doctor Who - Short Trip before, it's recommended that you give one a listen to get a sense of how they sound and what can be done in the format. The story selected in 2016 - Doctor Who: Forever Fallen by Joshua Wanisko - is available as a free download here, and 2017's Doctor Who: Landbound by Selim Ulug is here. If you put these in your basket and process as a free "purchase", it will unlock downloadable versions of Joshua and Selim's initial submissions, and their final scripts.